Recovering of this ottoman coffee table took just a few hours and cost around $25.
Andy and I had been living with cat-scratched and worn out furniture for 15 years, and when we finally bought new furniture for the living room it took up more space that I was anticipating, and there was not a lot of space left for a full sized coffee table.
My old furniture included a pleather ottoman and was part of a set from the Debbie Travis line of furniture sold through Canadian Tire hardware stores. It has been a great piece and is very versatile but we mostly used it as the end of a sectional. Dimensionally my old pleather ottoman was a good fit but it would need to be recovered since it was very worn and it did not go with the new room color scheme.
I found the grey patterned fabric on sale (of course), and re-upholstering this ottoman coffee table turned out to be much easier than I expected, and the end result is also better than I had hoped.
I started by removing the legs, which easily unscrewed from the base. I tried removing the pleather by pulling, but the staples were holding it together too well, so I used a knife to cut the fabric close to the staples and it came off easily.
The lining was secured to the base and I wanted to re-use it, so I used the knife to separate the pleather from the lining.
The original ottoman did not have buttons, but it was sewn in sections (probably to make it look more like leather). The corners of each section were secured to the plywood base using ribbon sewn onto the corner, fed through a drilled hole and stapled to the plywood. The lining covered the ribbon, staples and plywood.
So, the point in mentioning this is that I wanted a tufted ottoman with covered buttons and I was able to use the holes that had already been made in the plywood. It probably wouldn’t have been too difficult to drill new holes through the wood and poke a needle through the lining fabric but this was even easier.
Making the fabric covered buttons (using a kit from any fabric store) takes a bit of practice, but is fairly quick and easy. I measured the button locations to align with the already drilled holes in the plywood, attaching the buttons to one side and a strip of ribbon the the other side of each button.
The foam was quite thick so this took a few tries, but using a long needle to pull the ribbon through made all the difference. An embroidery needle works great because it is extra long.
After getting the ribbon through the foam, it was easy to feed the ribbon through the plywood. I pulled the fabric tight and stapled the ribbon in place on the back of the plywood. I then put the lining back in place, folded the fabric at the edges and pulled tight while putting in a ton of staples.
The only sewing involved was a single straight stitch on the base. I pinned the fabric inside-out, sewed the seam, turned it the right way, lined up the seam at a corner and stapled it in place on the underside.
I laid the lining back down in the base ensuring that the pattern in the grey fabric aligned, folding the edge, pulling it tight then stapling. After all the stapling was done, the legs were screwed back on and the ottoman coffee table was ready to use.
This is the last of a series of footstool makeovers in the past few months. This one was the largest and most complex, but it was worth a bit more effort. Below are the others.
Woven leather footstool: