Footstool slipcover

I have had two faux leather footstools for a long time and they have been very versatile decor pieces filling gaps in multiple different rooms over the years.  I bought way too much fabric when I re-upholstered two armchairs, and decided to try making a footstool slipcover.

East DIY footstool slipcover to modernize a faux leather cube

Not only were the brown faux leather footstools dated looking, they were also showing signs of wear and the cats have left quite a few scratch marks.

pleather cube makeover

leather cube before

I went back and forth between whether to slipcover or re-upholster, until I realized they were basically the same steps until the very last step, when I could either have the bottom of the fabric hang below the cube, or staple it to the bottom.

Footstool slipcover – how to

The slipcover for the cube would need to be very tight to stay-put when moving the cube around.  When cutting the fabric I made sure the selvage (I had to look up the term, but it is the tight woven edge of fabric) was at the bottom of the stool so that I would not need to hem – one less step in the process!

I cut just 2 pieces for each stool – one for the top and one piece to wrap around all 4 sides. That meant just 2 seams.

I wrapped a measuring tape tightly around the cube and added 1 inch for the seam.  I measured the top of the cube, also adding 1 inch.

Then I sewed the seam for the side of the cube and check it by sliding it over the cube.  I pinned the footstool top fabric onto the side fabric, and sewed the two pieces together. Creating the slipcover cost nothing and took less than an hour.

That was all I intended to do, except that when put the finished slipcovers onto the stools (not yet pressed – so pretty wrinkled) I thought the chairs were incomplete without feet.  As you can see below.

slipcovered cube stool

The original cube stool had just a plastic ring instead of feet.

adding feet to footstool

Cube footstool makeover – adding feet

So I asked my husband, if he could make feet for the cube.  He cut the wood to length and drilled holes in the bottom, I stained and varnished them, and screwed them onto the footstool, and although this changed the dimensions of the stool are no longer a perfect cube shape, I think they finish off the stools nicely.

upholstered footstool

I am still undecided on whether I should staple the bottom of the fabric to make this an upholstered stool instead of a footstool slipcover, but either way I like them much better in white fabric instead of cat-scratched vinyl.  The fabric did not cost me anything, but the wood feet cost ~$15 for materials.  It took a bit longer to get the feet cut, sanded, stained and varnished, but I think it was worth it!

diy uphostered cube footstool

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *